Thursday, September 29, 2011

One of my closest friends told me this quote: "Closed minds should come with closed mouths." Oh how I wish people abided by that. Today in my PE class which I have first period, I was discussing religion with one of the few philosophical people I know. I don't consider myself to be religious. I do believe that there is a higher power, but until someone can prove that their religion is correct and the only one, I'm not saying I'm one religion or not.

With my philosophical buddies, one of which is a strict Christian, the other is a Pagan, and another is like me, we were debating all religions. We got on the topic of getting to Heaven. My father once took me to visit a synagogue and meet the rabbi. I think it's completely strange to think that only Christians are going to Heaven. One peer remarked that if I wasn't a Christian I couldn't go to Heaven because the only way to get there was Jesus. Another peer said that I was stupid to believe what I believe. "There is scientific evidence that Jesus was real! Read the bible!"

One, I never said that I didn't believe that Jesus did or did not exist. I never stated my views on him. I never stated I was or was not any certain religion. Two, there is no scientific evidence that Jesus existed. It's a belief. Third, I did read the bible. I read it last summer, from cover to cover. The bible doesn't prove anything because in order for it to be real, you have to believe it. My philosophical friend even thinks that one day our 'God' might just be mythology. 2000 years ago the Greeks and Romans believed their gods were real.

You are raised by your parents or guardians, and therefore, you will most likely believe in the same religion they do. As you get older, you do have the right to choose your own beliefs, but most people don't. Most children are raised to not accept any opinions, but their own. That, is why the human race is getting worse, not better.

Gosh. I love discussing religion. I wish I could do it professionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment